Subject: Re: [PATCH v10.1 7/7] bisect: allow any terms set by user

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 15:25:50 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> + git bisect terms <term-old> <term-new>
>>
>> I think this is the other way around.
>
> Indeed.

I hate to be saying this, but this is a strong indication that
consistency with "start $bad $good..." must be broken.  If the
person who has been working on this topic for a few iterations in
the past few days cannot get it right, no ordinary user can.  With
or without a mnemonic hint "N comes before O, so does B before G".

Of course we cannot just say "git bisect terms old new".  That would
only invite "eh, I do not remember, which between terms and start
take the old one first?" without helping people.

The best I can come up with is to forbid positional arguments to
this subcommand and always require them to be given like so:

	git bisect terms --old=fast --new=slow
	git bisect terms --new=slow --old=fast

We may want to start supporting

	git bisect start --new=master --old=maint

while at it and then gently nudging people to stop using

	git bisect start master maint

by showing depreation notice.