Subject: Re: git error in tag ...: unterminated header

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 13:48:52 -0700

Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hm... it seems I cannot even easily delte these tags:
>
> -> git tag -d LABEL_2006_03_12_0025
> Deleted tag 'LABEL_2006_03_12_0025' (was eb394f5)
> -> git fsck --full
> Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.
> Checking object directories: 100% (256/256), done.

This is expected.  "git tag -d" only severed the linkage between
tagname LABEL_2006_03_12_0025 and the tag object eb394f5; without
repacking and pruning, the object eb394f5 is not removed from your
object store.

> dangling tag eb394f56db3e05d00891d6dc36a00df0025cf255
>
> Now I also have this "dangling tag" thingy...

That also is expected.  It now is "dangling" because it is not
reachable from any of your refs.

"git repack -a -d -f" after "git tag -d && git tag -a" would make
your repository fsck-clean, but I highly doubt that you would want
to recreate your tags right now.

If I were you, I'd learn to ignore these 'unterminated header'
errors for now and wait to see if Git folks decide that 4d0d8975
(Make sure fsck_commit_buffer() does not run out of the buffer,
2014-09-11) is overzealous and giving an error message where there
is no error, in which case future versions of Git will not complain
on these objects.  It is not too late to do the re-tagging after
they decide to keep the current behaviour.