Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/13] Improve "refs" module encapsulation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:47:50 -0700

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Add functions to the reference API to
>
> * Delete a bunch of references at once, but *without* failing the
>   whole transaction if one of the deletions fails. This functionality
>   is used by `git remote remove` and `git remote prune`.
>
> * Create initial references during `git clone`. (During clone,
>   references are written directly to the `packed-refs` file without
>   any locking.)
>
> Also move the remaining "refs" function declarations from `cache.h` to
> `refs.h`.
>
> This improves the encapsulation of the refs module. Especially, it
> means that code outside of the refs module should no longer need to
> care about the distinction between loose and packed references.

Yay.  The subject of the series matches this "primary value" of the
topic, even though the cover text makes it sound as if it was just a
"while we are at adding two functions" with "Also move..." ;-)