Subject: Re: Git archiving only branch work

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:36:48 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 01:10:17PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> > How about just adding --stdin, which matches other git commands?
>> 
>> How about doing nothing and use the correct $IFS instead?
>
> Can you cover all cases with $IFS, including filenames with newlines?

You didn't say "--stdin -z", so I presume --stdin is not solving
anything ;-)

> I agree it is probably OK in practice and for the OP's question, but it
> is nice to have "-z" variants so you do not have to worry about quoting
> at all. I'd argue that a "--stdin -z" should probably also accept raw
> filenames, not pathspecs, too (so you do not have to use
> "--literal-pathspecs" elsewhere).

I agree "--stdin -z" is a good thing but what makes you think that
the producer of the data is _always_ walking the directory hierarchy
and showing the pathnames it sees?  I think use of literal-pathspecs
should not be tied to the use of either --stdin or -z.