Subject: Re: [RTC/PATCH] Add 'update-branch' hook

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:52:55 -0700

Ilya Bobyr <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 4/21/2014 2:17 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Ilya Bobyr wrote:
>>
>>> Also, most have names that start with either "pre-" or "post-".
>>> It seems reasonable for both "pre-update-branch" and
>>> "post-update-branch" to exist.
>> I don't see what would be the point in that.
>
> Do you see the point in the other hooks doing that?

pre- and post- are primarily so that people can tell that "pre-
happens before the operation and its primary motivation is to stop
an operation from happening" as opposed to "post- is called after
the fact and there is no way for it to intervene---it is too late;
it is primarily for things like logging" easily.

As long as you can tell what you can use it for and when it is
called from the name of the hook, there is no fundamental reason why
you need to have pre- or post- prefix in your hook names, but unless
there is no other strong reason not to, it is probably a good idea
to follow suit.  There is not much value in trying to be "original"
in naming things, just to be different; it will only confuse the
users.