Subject: Re: My advice for GSoC applicants

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 14:29:10 -0800

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Based on my experience so far as a first-time Google Summer of Code
> mentor, I just wrote a blog article containing some hopefully useful
> advice for students applying to the program.  Please note that this is
> my personal opinion only and doesn't necessarily reflect the views of
> the Git/libgit2 projects as a whole.
>
>     My secret tip for GSoC success
>
> http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/2014/03/my-secret-tip-for-gsoc-success.html

Thanks for writing this.

Also thanks for the MicroProject approach to introduce potential
students and the community.

Multiple students seem to be hitting the same microprojects (aka "we
are running out of micros"), which might be a bit unfortunate.  I
think the original plan might have been that for a student candidate
to pass, his-or-her patch must hit my tree and queued somewhere, but
with these duplicates I do not think it is fair to disqualify those
who interacted with reviewers well but solved an already solved
micro.

Even with the duplicates I think we are learning how well each
student respond to reviews (better ones even seem to pick up lessons
from reviews on others' threads that tackle micros different from
their own) and what his-or-her general cognitive ability is.