Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 4/6] t7406: Just-cloned checkouts update to the gitlinked hash with 'reset'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:24:11 -0800

"W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:22:52AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> "W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > To preserve the local branch, for situations where we're not on a
>> > detached HEAD.
>> >
>> > Signed-off-by: W. Trevor King <[email-masked]>
>> > ---
>> 
>> This should be a part of some other change that actually changes how
>> this "git submodule update" checks out the submodule, no?
>
> Sure, we can squash both this test fix and the subsequent new test
> patch into patch #3 in v5.  I was just splitting them out because
> backwards compatibility was a concern, and separate patches makes it
> easy for me to explain why the results changed here without getting
> lost in patch #3's implementation details.

On the contrary, if we had this as part of patch #3, it would have
helped reviewing the patch itself, as that would have served as one
more clue to illustrate the effect that is externally visible to end
users.

Besides, having them separate will break bisection.