Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: Add -f, --fixes <commit> option to add Fixes: line

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:54:16 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Thinking aloud further, what I had in mind was along the lines of
>> the following.
>>
>>  * The most generic external interface would be spelled as
>>
>>     --trailer <token>[=<param>]
>>
>>    where <token> can be things like "signoff", "closes", "acked-by",
>>    "change-id", "fixes", etc.; they can be taken from an unbounded
>>    set.  The historical "--signoff" can become a short-hand for
>>    "--trailer signoff".  More than one "--trailer" option can be
>>    given on a single command line.
>
> Ok, and maybe the <token> could also be the full trailer like "Signed-off-by".

Yeah, between these two:

    [commitTrailer "Signed-off-by"]
        style = append-norepeat
        shorthand = signoff
        command = echo "$GIT_COMMITTER_NAME <$GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL>"'

   [commitTrailer "signoff"]
        style = append-norepeat
        trailer = Signed-off-by
        command = echo "$GIT_COMMITTER_NAME <$GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL>"'

I do not have strong preference either way.  One of these two sets
of configuration will have to become a built-in default (i.e. still
allowing people from other development community conventions to
redefine how S-o-b: works), so there will be no user-visible
difference either way at the highest-level Porcelain anyway.

Oh, also, it seems people prefer to call them "footers", judging by
the messages in this thread. I do not have a problem with that word,
either; I suspect we may have to update existing documentation that
calls them "trailers", if we go that way, though.