Subject: Re: [GSoC PATCH 00/16] Microproject: avoid suppressing git's exit code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2026 08:00:15 -0700

Trieu Huynh <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ack, I missed that point. Could you clarify how many patches or
> files changed are considered appropriate for the microproject?

The end product (i.e., a patch that could be applied to my tree) of
a microproject is not expected to have any value to improve the
project codebase.  The process has two objectives.  One is to help
new people experience the end-to-end process of sending their first
patch, getting it reviewed, engaging in a dialog with the reviewer
and communicating with others in the community, and polishing and
resubmitting the patch.  And the other is to help us see how well
each candidate can work with reviewers and others in the community.

The size of a microproject submission to allow us achieve the two
goals may ideally be one-liner change ;-) but it may be a bit too
hard to gauge the effectiveness of the candidate with such a small
patch, so in practice the lower bound would be a single file with a
few hunks, with two paragraphs in the proposed log message.

And we certainly do not need 16-patch series, each doing very
similar things and likely to be making similar mistakes at the same
time.  Interactions with reviewers on just one patch would be
sufficient for them to learn the community norm, and for us to gauge
how effective the canidate is, without doing the same or similar
exchanges for the other 15 patches.