Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/8] improve "git format-patch --commit-list-format"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2026 09:47:26 -0700

Mirko Faina <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2026 at 09:04:44AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> When the payload _can_ be specified to wrap (i.e., end-user
>> configurable output format), the wrapping should not be forced by
>> the mechanism.  A project that is not ours may want to keep a single
>> long line for their commit list entries.
>> 
>> I do not mind if the default "modern" were defined to include %w()
>> to force wrapping to those who follow the default, of course.  But
>> do not unconditionally wrap what the end-user formatted to their
>> liking.
>
> I see, since there's not much to edit, I'll send the changes regarding
> the docs and the wrapping in a single series (I saw that you already
> made mf/format-patch-commit-list-format-doc but I hope it is not a
> problem), instead of submitting a new one.

I do not quite know what you are planning to do with the above four
lines, but you do not have to answer me here, as we'll know soon
enough once you post them.  I'll just have to remember *not* to merge
the new -doc topic to 'next' until that happens ;-).