Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/10] t0001: handle `diff --no-index` gracefully

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2025 00:15:09 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > +	case "$GIT_TEST_CMP" in
>> > +	# git diff --no-index does not resolve symlinks
>> > +	*--no-index*) cmp expected newdir/.git ;;
>> > +	*) test_cmp expected newdir/.git ;;
>> > +	esac &&
>> 
>> perhaps?
>
> Sure. It's not like this adds much confidence, though, as the tested-for
> functionality isn't specific to Windows, so I'd expect this to fail on
> Linux, too, if it was broken, and running that comparison on Windows does
> not add much.

It sounds like you are saying running tests on Windows on most of
the platform neutral Git code is waste of resources, and looking at
the number of shareded tests used in CI, it might not be a bad idea
if we can cleanly separate the Git functionality into two categories
(i.e., those that must behave identically on all platforms and
others) and shuffle our tests around to let platforms that runs our
tests slower only the "other" tests, while the faster platform to
run all of them.  But I am not sure if that approach is a practical.

> Since you spent time on this, I will change it, though.

The time I spent does not matter as much as the time other folks
will spend scratching their heads reading the code left by this
patch.  I will be mostly offline this week, so please take your
time.

Thanks.