Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] bundle-uri: ignore bundles without uri

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2025 10:18:47 -0700

Justin Tobler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 25/09/12 06:46PM, Toon Claes wrote:
>> Bundle-URI can use the heuristic 'creationToken'. With this heuristic
>> each bundle should specify a 'creationToken' next to the 'uri'
>> attribute. But this allows misconfiguration where only a 'creationToken'
>> and no 'uri' is specified for a bundle . Because Git expects each bundle
>> to have a 'uri', this causes a segmentation fault.
>> 
>> Harden Git against bundles with missing 'uri' and skip bundles which
>> miss this attribute.
>
> Ultimately, the remote Git server is the source of truth and bundle-uri
> serves as a supplementary mechanism to retrieve objects. In cases where
> there are errors related to retrieving objects from the specified
> bundle-uri, it certainly makes sense for Git to warn/ignore these issues
> and continue on as if there was no bundle-uri.

OK.

> I'm not sure though if this should extend to client-side
> misconfiguration. We don't want to segfault, but maybe we should return
> an error indicating the misconfiguration instead of just papering over
> it? At the very least, it would probably make sense to provide some sort
> of warning that the bundle-uri was misconfigured and not used.

I tend to agree.  Instead of papering over a misconfiguration, it
would be better to let the users know, so they have a chance to
report and/or correct such a misconfiguration.