Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 02/15] xdiff: introduce rust

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2025 08:45:56 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> If we cannot find anything, an alternative could also be to take a very
> simple subsystem that doesn't see a lot of changes and convert that to
> Rust. We'd retain both implementations in that case, which I mentioned
> is painful because we now have to keep both in sync. But if we say that
> this is a testballoon, only, and that we don't continue to convert other
> code until Git 3.0, then that might be fine.
>
> "varint.c" could be a good match. It's trivial, only 30 lines of code,
> and completely standalone.

I am afraid that it is a bit too trivial.  I didn't mention this
possibility of maintaining parallel implementations, but the
quiescent area I had in mind was patch-delta.c (no, I am not that
ambitious to suggest diff-delta.c as the first example).

> We could still build new and optional functionality via Rust, but I
> guess it also doesn't hurt to have a test balloon that is part of
> libgit.a to test interoperability.

OK.