Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] editorconfig: set maximum line length to 120 characters

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2025 07:25:09 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> So my intent was to instead was to allow the user to be in charge of
> line-wrapping, but for no reason should that go beyond 120 columns.
>
> I'm happy to change that to 80 columns, this does mean that supported
> editors will start wrapping at 80 columns. Users will have to override
> as necessary.

OK.  So stepping back a bit

 1. We advise people to avoid exceeding 80 columns

 2. A line can be easier to read without wrapping strictly at 80
    columns but left as a single line, slightly going above the
    limit..

 3. Even with the second observation above, a line that is way
    longer than 80 columns is not acceptably long.

Now, what is the line between the #2 and #3?  If we set these "hard
limit" to that number, as long as the tool does not pack multiple
shorter lines into one line using that number as a limit, we'd be at
a happy place, I would imagine?

Thanks.