Subject: Re: [PATCH] fixup! repack: exclude cruft pack(s) from the MIDX where possible

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2025 10:07:14 -0700

Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]> writes:

> In a previous commit, `grep -o` was introduced as part of t7704.
>
> POSIX doesn't have that flag as defined and while it is a popular
> one is not available at least in the latest release of AIX.
>
> Use a sed equivalent that ought to be more portable.

OK.  The patterns are not exactly the same but as long as we know
$packdir does *not* contain a substring "pack-", it should be OK.

As the topic is not even in 'next', perhaps a refresh can squash
this change in?

>  		ls $packdir/pack-*.idx | sort >packs.all &&
> -		grep -o "pack-.*\.idx$" packs.all >in &&
> +		sed -n "s/.*\(pack-.*\.idx\)$/\1/p" packs.all >in &&
>  		git multi-pack-index write --stdin-packs --bitmap <in &&

I do not quite see the need for temporary files or "grep/sed" here,
though.

		(cd "$packdir" && ls pack-*.idx) |
		sort |
		git multi-pack-index write --stdin-packs --bitmap &&

Tangent to this discussion, but I just noticed that

    $ git multi-pack-index -h

lacks quite a lot of information.  Perhaps it needs updating?

Thanks.