Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] add-patch: edit the hunk again

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 09:02:12 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> Thanks for the re-roll. I'm still not convinced that changing this
> without keeping an easy way to get the current behavior is a good
> idea.
>
> This is not very obvious to the user, it would be much better to give
> them the choice when we prompt them about editing the hunk
> again. We've been giving the user the original hunk for the last six
> and a half years so I think it's a bit late to unilaterally change
> that now.

I almost never use the (e)dit in "add -p", but after trying it and
deliberately screwing up the edit, I tend to agree with you.  It is
very easy to lose what the original change was, what you wanted it
to say after the edit in the end state, and how the patch for the
current state should look like, and being able to easily start over
(and more importantly, knowing that I'd get the version that has
none of my screw-ups) was the only thing that convinced me that I
might in the future try to use the (e)dit mode again when I find an
applicable situation.

Thanks for review.