Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] builtin: remove USE_THE_REPOSITORY_VARIABLE from builtin.h

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 08:43:56 -0700

"John Cai via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: John Cai <[email-masked]>
>
> Instead of including USE_THE_REPOSITORY_VARIABLE by default on every
> builtin, remove it from builtin.h and add it where necessary to
> individual builtins/*. The next step will be to migrate each builtin
> from having to use the_repository.

I didn't notice this until I compile-tested the merge result to
'seen', but this omits some files in builtin/*.c hierarchy and add
the USE_* variable to the rest.

That makes the step impossible to review this step.

Can we make this step to mechanically (1) remove definition of the
USE_* variable from builtin.h and (2) add it to everything that
includes builtin.h and (3) do nothing else?

Then each of the files in builtin/*.c that this iteration omitted
can explicitly lose the USE_* variable in its own separate follow-up
patch (e.g. "this file did not need to access the_repository either
directly or indirectly", or "with these changes, this file now does
not depend implicitly on the_repository, so lose USE_* definition at
the same time").

Thanks.