Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/7] test-tool: add unit test suite runner

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 14:15:20 -0700

Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> writes:

> For various reasons (see discussion at [1]) we would like an alternative
> to `prove` for running test suites (including the unit tests) on
> Windows.
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>
> This series extends the existing `test-tool run-command testsuite` to
> support running unit tests. In addition, it includes some small
> cleanups:
> * move t-basic out of the unit-tests directory
> * don't hardcode the shell for running tests in `test-tool ... testsuite`
> * don't hardcode a test name filter in `test-tool ... testsuite`
> * add a test wrapper script to allow unit tests and the shell test suite
>   to run in a single `prove` process

I am OK to see it outside the scope of this series, but we would
need unit tests supported by the GIT_SKIP_TESTS mechanism (or an
alternative mechanism written), given that I hear "migrate tests to
unit-test framework" every once in a while, which means we would
accumlate more and more tests that ignore GIT_SKIP_TESTS mechansim.

I did spot one potential problem (rather, "we'd want to fix it as we
are changing it with this reroll anyway"), but other than that I did
not see anything wrong in the other patches.

Thanks.  Will queue.