Subject: Re: [PATCH] checkout: add config variable checkout.autoDetach

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:04:57 +0900

Andy Koppe <[email-masked]> writes:

> The git-checkout command without pathspecs automatically detaches HEAD
> when switching to something other than a branch, whereas git-switch
> requires the --detach option to do so.
>
> Add configuration variable checkout.autoDetach to choose the behavior
> for both: true for automatic detaching, false for requiring --detach.
>
> Amend their documentation and tests accordingly.
>
> Signed-off-by: Andy Koppe <[email-masked]>
> ---

"switch" was meant to be an experimental command to sort out this
kind of UI ideas, and I think the fact that it requires a more
explicit "--detach", where experienced users might just say "git
checkout that-branch^0", has established itself as a more friendly
and good thing to help new users.  I do not know how others react to
this kind of proliferation of configuration variables, but I do not
mind this particular variable existing.