Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] rev-list: add support for commits in `--missing`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:54:31 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> Seems like this is because of commit-graph being enabled, I think
> the best thing to do here would be to disable the commit graph of
> these tests.

If the CI uncovered that the new code is broken and does not work
with commit-graph, wouldn't the above a totally wrong approach to
correct it?  If the updated logic cannot work correctly when
commit-graph covers the history you intentionally break, shouldn't
the code, when the feature that is incompatible with commit-graph is
triggered, disable the commit-graph?  I am assuming that the new
feature is meant to be used to recover from a corrupt repository,
and if it does not work well when commit-graph knows (now stale
after repository corruption) more about the objects that are corrupt
in the object store, we do want to disable commit-graph.  After all,
commit-graph is a secondary information that is supposed to be
recoverable from the primary data that is what is in the object
store.  Disabling commit-graph in the test means you are telling the
end-users "do not use commit-graph if you want to use this feature",
which sounds like a wrong thing to do.