Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND] hooks: add sendemail-validate-series

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 13:14:26 -0700

"Robin Jarry" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> it.  Does send-email work on it correctly if you did e.g.
>>
>>     $ git send-email dir/000[12]*.txt
>>
>> or something silly like
>>
>>     $ git send-email dir
>>
>> or does it already choke on the first file because of the filename?
>
> It seems to work with both. I guess, NUL bytes separation it is then...

Feeding the filenames as the command line arguments would have been
much simpler X-<, but either NUL termination or c-quoting the
filenames would be needed _if_ we want to support crazy folks who
feed us such garbage filenames.  Letting hook scripts understand NUL
termination is a chore and it still is debatable if it is reasonable
to support, though.  I'd say it would be sufficient to just declare
"files whose name has LF in it is not given to the hook, ever" and
users would avoid such a filename if they care.

Thanks.