Subject: Re: [PATCH] merge-file: fix build warning with gcc 4.8.5

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 08:48:46 -0700

Đoàn Trần Công Danh  <[email-masked]> writes:

> mmfs is an array of struct, xmparamt_t's first field is a struct,
> mmfs's element and xmparamt_t's first field must be initialised
> with {0}.
>
> Signed-off-by: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
> ---
>
>  This warning is available in master

Thanks, but didn't we discuss this recently and decided that such
(false) complaints by ancient compiler is not worth catering to by
deliberately deviating the "zero initializing a struct is always
done via { 0 }" idiom?

cf. https://lore.kernel.org/git/CAPig+cSgNB=[email-masked]/

I think the concensus was that we should squelch the false warning
on older compilers with -Wno-missing-braces, but then the discussion
has stalled by a suggestion to introduce a way to detect older
compilers that is different from how we do so at the same time, and
went nowhere.

Hopefully we can add a simple -Wno-* without waiting for whole
config.mak thing getting revamped this time?