Subject: Re: ab/test-without-templates

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 09:11:52 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> You may disagree with some or all of those, but this series doesn't try
> to get you to agree with any of them. It's just making our tests more
> sturdy and explicit in their intent by clearly declaring which parts of
> them are relying on our default templates.
>
> So it's helping us spot issues like the one fixed in 7f44842ac19
> (sparse-checkout: create leading directory, 2022-01-21) earlier.

It's like arguing "this series is a bugfix, so what it fixes are by
definition bugs", isn't it?

> I really don't disagree with you per-se about us defining some minimum
> viable template,...

Well then it becomes debatable if it is a "bug" not to handle
missing .git/info that needs "fixing" by this series, and it also
makes it debatable if 7f44842a (sparse-checkout: create leading
directory, 2022-01-21) was also a "bugfix", or just tightening
against environment the end-user broke, no?