Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] i18n: mark message helpers prefix for translation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:23:44 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> I posted this patch[1] to do the same a while ago, except it also
> translates the "BUG: " message:

We should take this one, exactly because it does not touch BUG();
the messages given to BUG() are not marked for translation, and
translating only the "BUG:" prefix does not make much sense.

When BUG messages are shown, it is better if they are conveyed back
to us exactly.  It would be cumbersome to near-impossible, depending
on the language, if a message was given back to me in a script that
I do not even know how to type---I'd need to map it back via po/*
files with "grep" to locate where the message came from.

Besides, BUG messages are meant not to be seen.  We could discuss if
it makes more sense to translate the messages and spend engineering
resource to mark them with _() while massaging the messages to help
deduping, but because the messages are meant primarily for identifying
the locations and not explaining situation to human user, I do not see
a huge benefit doing so.

Thanks.