Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] cli: add -v and -h shorthands

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 09:19:51 -0700

Garrit Franke <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 01.04.22 18:02, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> I do not think one extra level of "unknown option", even with hint,
>> is worth the trouble.  If we want to cater to those who expect "-h"
>> to be more special than random "-<some single letter>", we should go
>> all the way and make "-h" truly supported.  If we do not, they can
>> read "git help git" just like those who wonder what "git -X" means.
>
> From what I gathered, we all agree that adding the "-h" shorthand is a
> good addition to the UI. Given that the "-v" option is understandably 
> controversial, I could cut it from this patch.
>
> Thoughts?

I do not care too deeply, and it is the most time efficient to just
take the last patch as-is.  Nobody would care they used "git -h" or
"git -v" only once and learned to use "git help" and "git version"
anyway ;-)