Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 05/13] submodule--helper: remove ensure-core-worktree

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 13:25:52 -0800

Glen Choo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Move the logic of "git submodule--helper ensure-core-worktree" into
> run-update-procedure. Since the ensure-core-worktree command is

I take it as "... command is now obsolete", or "... has become
obsolete"?

> obsolete, remove it.
>
> Signed-off-by: Glen Choo <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  builtin/submodule--helper.c | 12 ++----------
>  git-submodule.sh            |  2 --
>  2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

On the script side, the removed call to ensure-core-worktree used
to precede these invocations of the helper

    submodule--helper relative-path
    submodule--helper remote-branch
    submodule--helper print-default-remote

before we triggered run-update-procedure, so these helper calls were
done only after we made sure we have a submodule there at the path
and its configuration file has core.worktree set correctly.  If we
failed to do so, we wouldn't have made these calls.

Now we call them unprotected.  It is not immediately obvious if that
is a safe/sensible thing to do.

I would imagine that we would lose more and more code from the
script in the "while" loop before run-update-procedure is triggered,
and presumably the equivalent code will be added _after_ the call to
ensure_core_worktree() this patch adds to the beginning of
update_submodule2(), so in the end, the above will presumably become
a non-issue, but the series structure still feels iffy because of it.