Subject: Re: lh/use-gnu-color-in-grep, was Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2022, #01; Mon, 3)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 12:11:06 -0800

Philippe Blain <[email-masked]> writes:

>> FWIW I am in favor of adjusting Git's `grep` colors to GNU's
>> version. From
>> the users' perspective, it provides more consistency and less unexpected
>> surprises.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm also in favor of that change. It's been
> in my todo list of possible enhancements for a little while. I
> agree with Dscho that it's more consistent for users to have the
> same default colors as GNU grep.

I am not a huge fan of adjusting our defaults to other people's
default, since they can match ours to "have the same default", if
they wanted to.  Also we are risking complaints from those who would
say "We've been happily using the default coloring, and you suddenly
changed it to something ugly. We want our color back and we do not
care that now you match what GNU does".

But it seems that I won't have to be the one who need to field such
complaints, and instead we have at least two well-known people in
the list who volunteered for the role, so let's take it as-is.