Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] CI: use shorter names for CI jobs, less truncation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:57:57 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> This changes the names used in GitHub CI to be shorter, because the
> current ones are so long that they overflow the pop-up tooltips in the
> GitHub UI.
>
> New pop-up visible at: https://github.com/avar/git/tree/avar/ci-shorter-names
>
> Full CI run at (currently pending, I had a trivial last-minute
> update):
> https://github.com/avar/git/runs/4264929546?check_suite_focus=true

I have found the labels on "Jobs" on the left hand side pane
irritatingly unhelpful.  For example, "regular (linux-gcc-default,
gcc..."  does not tell me much about how it is different from
"regular (linux-gcc, gcc, ubunt...".

The question I ask most often is "which one of these ones is the job
that runs tests twice, the second time with nonstandard settings?",
or "Only windows-test(4) is failing, but not vs-test(4); what area
did we break?  What is in (4)?".

I do not think relabelling "windows" -> "w32" (why not "win", by the
way?), "vs" -> "w32/VS", or "regular (\(.*\))" -> "\1" helps me very
much in these questions.  I however think the blame for it lies
mostly on the original naming, not your effort in this series.

The job that is now called "linux-leaks" used to be "regular
(linux-leaks, gcc, ubu...", and there definitely is an improvement,
so "regular (\(.*\))" -> "\1" could help if the original was named
properly.  It is easier to spot what the job is about for that
particular one.

I find this of mixed value, ranging from "Meh" to "Hmm...nice?".