Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/2] fetch-pack: redact packfile urls in traces

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:59:03 -0700

Ivan Frade <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 4:21 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> "Ivan Frade via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>
>> > +     len = strspn(buffer, "0123456789abcdefABCDEF");
>> > +     if (!(len == 40 || len == 64) || buffer[len] != ' ')
>> > +             return NULL; /* required "<hash>SP" not seen */
>>
>> People may have comments on hardcoded 40/64 here and offer a better
>> way to write it ;-)
>
> Latest version uses the_hash_algo->hexsz:
>
> +       if (len != (int)the_hash_algo->hexsz || buffer[len] != ' ')
> +               return NULL; /* required "<hash>SP" not seen */
>
> Thanks!

OK.  If the <hash> is given by this side (as opposed to "you started
to talk to a remote, and it turns out that you are still talking
SHA-1 but the other side talks SHA-256 and their <hash> size that is
64 does not match your 40" case), then checking against
the_hash_algo->hexsz should be sufficient.  The original suggestion
was tried both because I didn't know where <hash> originates, and we
would want to redact even in such a hash type mismatch case.

Thanks.  Will take a look at the updated one.