Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] commit: restore --edit when combined with --fixup

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:51:18 -0700

"Joel Klinghed" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Writing this as
>> 
>> 			if (edit_flag < 0)
>> 
>> makes it far easier to immediately see that we are talking about a
>> nagetive edit_flag.
>> 
>
> Agree, I'll change it.
> I was unsure of the style and copied from the earlier condition:
> 	if (0 <= edit_flag)
> 		use_editor = edit_flag;

There are two valid schools of thought when it comes to comparison.

Some folks consider that a comparison between a variable and a
constant is a statement about the variable, hence the expression
should be

		if (VARIRABLE comparison-operator CONSTANT)

They will write things like:

		if (edit_flag >= 0)
		if (edit_flag < 0)

Other folks consider that textual order of the comparison should
match the actual order of the things being compared, as if they are
arranged on a number line, hence the expression should be

		if (SMALLER < LARGER)

no matter which one is variable and which one is constant.

They will write:

		if (0 <= edit_flag)
		if (edit_flag < 0)

The case in question, asserting that edit_flag is negative, is what
both camps agree how to write.