Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 8/8] shortlog: allow multiple groups to be specified

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 03:29:53 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now that shortlog supports reading from trailers, it can be useful to
> combine counts from multiple trailers, or between trailers and authors.
> This can be done manually by post-processing the output from multiple
> runs, but it's non-trivial to make sure that each name/commit pair is
> counted only once.
>
> This patch teaches shortlog to accept multiple --group options on the
> command line, and pull data from all of them. That makes it possible to
> run:
>
>   git shortlog -ns --group=author --group=trailer:co-authored-by
>
> to get a shortlog that counts authors and co-authors equally.

As I recently had a chance to revisit an old thread back in v2.3.3
days, I recalled that I wished something like this was available,

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

where I wished to have a way to count non-author contributions
easily to list them.

I am not comfortable with the idea of changing the release
announcement script immediately before the new release, so I'll do
v2.30.0 with the old "authorship only" script, but I'll play with
the new shortlog feature plus ideas from the old thread to see if we
can give more credit to non author contributors.