Subject: Re: Cygwin Git with Windows paths

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:33:07 +0900

"Randall S. Becker" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > And it may even be that we need a special handling for the "\" to be
>> > treated as "/".
>> 
>> I do not do Windows, but is_dir_sep() needs to be tweaked if you want to do
>> that.
>
> Heavy Cygwin user here. It is used in my environment for
> cross-compilation. Everything should be done using / separators in
> Cygwin, not \. So /cygdrive/c, /cygdrive/d always prefaces the
> path rather than C:\ or D:\, which won't parse. It is,
> essentially, a bash environment, including that git completions
> work properly. Backslash ends up doing what it would in bash.

In short, in your opinion, the original message in this thread
expresses an invalid wish, as C:\path\to\dir\ is not a valid way to
spell the path to the directory, and it should be written as
/cygdrive/c/path/to/dir instead?

How well does this argument work in the real world, when another
claim in the original message

    This causes problems for any non-Cygwin tools that might call Git:

    http://github.com/golang/go/issues/23155

is taken into account, I wonder, though?