Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] prepare_packed_git(): refactor garbage reporting in pack directory

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:48:13 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> -static void real_report_garbage(const char *desc, const char *path)
>>> +const char *bits_to_msg(unsigned seen_bits)
>>
>> If you don't expect other callers outside this file, then this should
>> be declared 'static'. If you do expect future external callers, then
>> this should be declared in a public header file (but renamed to be
>> more meaningful).
>
> I think this can be private to this file.  The sole point of moving
> this logic to this file is to make it private, after all ;-)  Thanks
> for sharp eyes.
>
> Together with the need for a description on "why", this probably
> deserves a test or two, probably at the end of t5304.
>
> Thanks.

Does somebody want to help tying the final loose ends on this topic?
It has been listed in the [Stalled] section for too long, I _think_
what it attempts to do is a worthy thing, and it is shame to see the
initial implementation and review cycles we have spent so far go to
waste.

If I find nothing else to do before any taker appears, I could
volunteer myself, but thought I should ask first.

Thanks.