Subject: Re: refspecs with '*' as part of pattern

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:28:45 -0700

Daniel Barkalow <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, 6 Jul 2015, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> I cannot seem to be able to find related discussions around that
>> patch, so this is only my guess, but I suspect that this is to
>> discourage people from doing something like:
>> 
>> 	refs/tags/*:refs/tags/foo-*
>> 
>> which would open can of worms (e.g. imagine you fetch with that
>> pathspec and then push with refs/tags/*:refs/tags/* back there;
>> would you now get foo-v1.0.0 and foo-foo-v1.0.0 for their v1.0.0
>> tag?) we'd prefer not having to worry about.
>
> That wouldn't be it, since refs/tags/*:refs/tags/foo/* would have the same 
> problem, assuming you didn't set up the push refspec carefully.

Thanks, I was wondering where you were ;-)  Nice to hear from you
from time to time.

> I think it was mostly that it would be too easy to accidentally do 
> something you don't want by having some other character instead of a 
> slash, like refs/heads/*:refs/heads-*.

Hmm, interesting thought.

But refs/heads/*:refs/heade/* would not be saved, so I do not think
that is it, either.