Subject: Re: git name-rev not accepting abbreviated SHA with --stdin

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:36:41 -0700

Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 06/25/2015 05:41 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> This *is* documented, but I'm curious why this distinction is made.
>> 
>> I think it is from mere laziness, and also in a smaller degree
>> coming from an expectation that --stdin would be fed by another
>> script like rev-list where feeding full 40-hex is less work than
>> feeding unique abbreviated prefix.
>
> Makes sense; thanks.  Maybe if I feel really adventurous I will,
> one day, look at the code :-)

Sorry, but I suspect this is not 100% laziness; it is meant to read
text that has object names sprinkled in and output text with object
names substituted.  I suspect that this was done to prevent a short
string that may look like an object name like deadbabe from getting
converted into an unrelated commit object name.