Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-new-workdir: support submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:18:37 -0800

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> For git-new-workdir.sh, perhaps we can teach include.path to make
>> config.local path relative to where the config symlink is, not where
>> the symlink target is.
>
> Ignore this part. I originally wanted to use include.path to load
> config.local, but there was an easier way. With this patch, I think
> config.local is already per worktree that is created by
> git-new-workdir.sh.

I think this may give us a cleaner approach to support a "keep
multiple working trees from the same project that are configured
differently" setting.

I am not sure how well it meshes to call this as ".local" with the
"--local" option of "git config" (read: "local" is a loaded word,
and the way we have used it have been "per repository", but now you
are using it to mean "per working tree" that is finer grained),
though.

I hope that there aren't people that are crazy enough to bind the
same repository to two different places in the top-level project,
and insist that we (re)use the submodule repository ;-).