Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: add some crossrefs between manual pages

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 12:58:49 -0800

Max Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 11.11.2014, at 23:51, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...
>>> +linkgit:git-fast-import[1]
>> 
>> This looks somewhat out of place; fast-import is not the only or
>> even the primary way to do a remote-helper, is it?
>
> It depends on how you look at it, I'd say. If you write a remote-helper that
> uses the import/export feature, it is absolutely vital.  All remote helpers
> I ever worked on are of that kind, so to me it is the primary way ;-),
> although of course I realize there are others. So, how would you determine
> which of the various methods is the "primary" one?

You don't.  If there exists no clear "primary" one, you do not have
to designate a random one as the "primary".

I just thought that these references are to related/relevant pages
in the same family of commands, and not a place to list possible
implementation technologies.  We do not say "see also libcurl" only
because we have the curl-based remote helper that almost everybody
uses to interact with other repositories over https:// URLs here,
and do not list send-pack or receive-pack, even though the pair
would be a natural way to implement 'fetch' and 'push' methods to a
helper to interact with a native Git repository, either.