Subject: Re: [PATCH] t4212: handle systems with post-apocalyptic gmtime

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 12:07:22 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:30:02PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Let's just deal with a simple known cases (like FreeBSD) in the real
>> code that everybody exercises at runtime, and have the new test only
>> check we do not segfault on a value we used to segfault upon seeing.
>
> OK. Here it is, with the other option as an "alt" patch for reference.
>
>   [1/2]: date: recognize bogus FreeBSD gmtime output
>   [2/2]: t4212: loosen far-in-future test for AIX
>   [2alt/2]: work around unreliable gmtime errors on AIX
>
> -Peff

Thanks.  2alt does not look too bad, but on the other hand, we are
replacing a value that can produce the right result on correctly
implemented gmtime with a completely bogus value only because we
know there exists one broken implementation---which does not sound a
very good trade-off, given that we would get a result that does not
correspond to the input anyway with or without the change on the
broken implementation.