Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Make 'git help everyday' work -> relnotes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:40:28 -0800

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I already have a local patch that creates a stalenote.txt file, and
> includes that in a "release-notes(7)" man page, but it still leaves
> the actual release notes in a separate plain text file, linked from
> the man page, rather than being right at hand, which is what I think
> readers would expect.

Sorry, but I still do not get it.  If you have a script that reads
git.txt and extracts its stale-notes section to generate the source
to be processed into release-notes(7), why can't that script also
include the contents of the latest release notes inline into its
output?

My release notes are _not_ written to be compatible with/processable
by AsciiDoc (they are meant to be mere plain text)---perhaps you are
wondering if that would make it harder to maintain your script that
produces release-notes.txt?

Confused...

>
> My other question would be to ask how you normally manage the up-issue
> of the stalenotes, and when you would normally create that section in
> git(1) as I didn't see any ifdef::stalenotes[] being defined anywhere
> else.

I'm not sure if I am understanding the question right (up-issue?),
but it used to be that the preformatted and web-reachable manual
pages at k.org were processed with stalenotes defined (which by the
way was disabled with adaa3caf "Meta/dodoc.sh: adjust to the new
layout, 2011-11-15" on the todo branch), and 26cfcfbf "Add release
notes to the distribution., 2007-02-13" used that facility to
prepare something like this:

    docs/git.html
        /git-cat-file.html
        ...
    docs/vX.Y.Z/git.html
    docs/vX.Y.Z/git-cat-file.html
                ...

where the "latest" one lived immediately underneath docs/*, while
older ones were in versioned subdirectories.