Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2013, #06; Tue, 27)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:05:01 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:22:30PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> * jk/config-int-range-check (2013-08-21) 2 commits
>>   (merged to 'next' on 2013-08-22 at 465efb3)
>>  + teach git-config to output large integers
>>  + config: properly range-check integer values
>> 
>>  Originally merged to 'next' on 2013-08-22
>> 
>>  "git config --int section.var 3g" should somehow diagnose that the
>>  number does not fit in "int" (on 32-bit platforms anyway) but it
>>  did not.
>> 
>>  Will cook in 'next'.
>
> I think Jonathan had some concerns about the test in the first one, and
> there was an open question in the second of whether we wanted to add
> something like --ulong, call it something more agnostic like
> --file-size, or simply teach --int to use 64-bit integers everywhere for
> simplicity.
>
> Thoughts?

Are the scripts that use "git config --<type>" expected to know the
representation type used by C binaries on the platform?  If so,
letting them say "git config --ulong 3g" when setting a new value,
and "git config --ulong" when asking the current value with range
checking does make sense.  When the underlying code uses "int" (as
opposed to "int32_t") to read the value for a variable on any
platform, then "git config --int 3g" that does not warn only because
it is running on 64-bit platform may not help very much.  The users
can protect themselves by learning to use "config --int32 3g", but I
am not sure that is a sensible approach---rather, "config --int"
that makes sure that the current value or the value being set is
within range on any sensible platform may be a lot more user-friendly.

>> * jk/mailmap-incomplete-line (2013-08-25) 2 commits
>>  - mailmap: avoid allocation when reading from blob
>>  - mailmap: handle mailmap blobs without trailing newlines
>> 
>>  Will merge to 'next'.
>
> Did you want me to squash these? The second one more or less eradicates
> the changes made to the first one. I mainly did them separately in case
> we were going to only do the first half on maint.

Hmm, perhaps.  Is reading mailmap from a blob commonly done and
deserves a maint update down for 1.8.3/1.8.2 series?

I'll be rewinding the 'next' soonish (either tomorrow or Thursday),
so I'll try to remember not to merge this (yet).

>> * jk/write-broken-index-with-nul-sha1 (2013-08-26) 1 commit
>>  - write_index: optionally allow broken null sha1s
>> 
>>  Am I waiting for another reroll?
>
> Yep, just sent v3.

Thanks.