Subject: Re: Mirror repositories for submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2026 10:09:15 +0900

Benson Muite <[email-masked]> writes:

> Would a contribution to add mirror repositories as alternate submodule
> sources be considered for inclusion?  Some projects have mirror
> repositories on other hosting services, and may have bandwidth limits on
> their primary hosting service.  Being able to indicate mirror
> repositories for where to check for updates and sources for submodules
> when doing `git clone --recurse-submodules https://my.repo ` or `git
> submodule update --init --recursive` would be helpful when there is a
> timeout.

I do not see why such a "oh, the repository at $URL1 seems to be
down, but we know $URL2 serves the equivalent information, so let's
go there instead" feature has to be limited to submodule use case.

So, no, I do not think a contribution to add mirror repositories as
alternate submodule sources should be considered for inclusion, as
it artificially limits usefulness of the feature.  A feature to add
mirror repositories as alternate sources might be worth considering,
though.