Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] builtin/init-db: deprecate alias for git-init(1)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2026 07:22:50 +0900

"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I found it to be a bit heavy-handed as it's so trivial to replace with
>> git-init(1), but on the other hand it's a trivial thing to do.
>
> I imagine that most potential git-init-db(1) uses will be buried in some
> scripts that haven’t been touched in years. Then the Git init might
> fail, you get errors about git-commit(1) or something not being a thing
> you can run without a repository, and it ends up being a headscratcher
> since the original failure gets lost.
>
> All to say I think a simple warning would be nice. ;)

Or just leave it without deprecation.  It does not cost much to keep
"init-db", and because we expanded what "git database" means in
later versions of Git since its invention, the name still makes
sense.  Thank Linus for not naming it "init-odb"---that might have
been a valid excuse to rename it because it does not cover the ref
database and config database and others.