Subject: Re: [PATCH v1] replay.c: support replaying root commits

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2026 11:55:27 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 'git replay' does not support replaying root commits, as indicated by
>> the FIXME comment. If a user attempts to replay a root commit, the 'die()'
>> in 'replay_revisions()' will be called.
>
> Please be aware of your surroundings.  I think there are multiple
> topics that work on this file and among them there is a topic to
> address the same issue, if I am not mistaken.
>
> The list archive is your friend, for example, you can try these:
>
>     https://lore.kernel.org/git/?q=replay+root
>     https://lore.kernel.org/git/?q=dfn%3Areplay.c+%22root+commit%22
>
> Thanks.

Oops, sent without completing what I needed to say.

After you find out that other people are working in the vicinity,
some of them even may be working on the same itch you had, instead
of silently letting them continue, join the conversation and help
them polish their work.  You can give reviews, you can supply test
cases, you can polish their documentation, etc.

Let's make this a team effort, not authors completing against each
other, or authors working on their own thing without paying any
attention to what others are doing.

Thanks.