Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] repo: remove redundant variable shadow in stats_table_print_structure

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2026 20:08:43 -0700

"Mansi Singh via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The variable i is declared in the outer scope of
> stats_table_print_structure() and then re-declared inside the loop,
> shadowing the outer one unnecessarily. Remove the redundant inner
> declaration to clean up the scope.
>
> Signed-off-by: Mansi Singh [email-masked]

The above sounds more like a description for a single patch, not a
cover letter.

Because we strongly encourage one patch doing only one thing and
doing it well, a commit log message for one of the patches in a
two-patch series rarely makes a good description for the whole
series.

But reading it again, which variable 'i' is it talking about?  [2/2]
does address 'entry' that is declared in an inner scope, masking the
variable with the same name declared in an outer scope.

Stepping back a bit, I do not quite see the need for these two
patcches to form a single topic.  They look pretty much totally
independent topics.  Perhaps you're better off treating them as two
independent topics, each with a single patch.

> Mansi (1):
>   t7605: use test_path_is_file instead of test -f
>
> Mansi Singh (1):
>   repo: remove redundant variable shadow in stats_table_print_structure

Are these two patches from two different people?

Last time in https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
we had three names, and we now have only two, so that can be called
an improvement, but let's whittle them down to just one ;-).

Thanks.