Subject: Re: [PATCH v27 0/2] status: add status.compareBranches config for multiple branch comparisons

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2026 12:18:14 -0800

Harald Nordgren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Using a string list like this is quadratic. It probably doesn't matter
>> too much here since we wouldn't expect the list of configured branches
>> to be very long, though. But a strset is probably the better tool, like
>> the diff below (note that its "add" can be used as a single operation to
>> insert and check).
>> 
>> I don't know if it's worth re-rolling for this or not. I doubt anybody
>> would hit it in practice, but I'd be more concerned about people
>> auditing for accidentally-quadratic uses of string_list and stumbling
>> upon it.
>
> Sounds like a good change. Very nice to have insert-and-check as a single
> operation!
>
> I'll update it after passing CI on GitHub -- I'm running CI from two
> separate GitHub pull requests, because one has your memory leak fix on top
> to allow the leak tests to not fail. 🤗

Thanks.  I think we are getting to the finish line with this topic,
finally ;-)