Subject: Re: How do i get news of git releases

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2025 11:51:19 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2025 at 9:42 PM
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> > The URL for each release points to the announcement email on the
>> > mailing list archive. That email contains the release notes.
>
>> If they already have the realease notes on the mailing list, why do they
>> not have a seprate "git-announce" mailing list with just the release
>> notes and other important announcements
>
> We try to keep everything on a single mailing list as much as possible
> to not split the community.

I do not see how the presence of an "announce-only" list would
fracture the community.  You could make such a list strictly
read-only for participants (i.e. only the list owners can send
things out, responses may be routed to those on whose behalf the
message was sent to the list, just to /dev/null, or perhaps to the
main list) for make it even clear that the secondary list is for
announce-only and any discussion about the items announced would
still happen on the main list.

It does take resources and coordination.  It won't happen without
anybody spending an extra effort.

Because those who would be writing the announce material for such a
secondary list are making enough efforts to help this community
thrive already, I do not particularly see the initial "why not a
separate announce list" question a very productive thing to think
about or respond to.  Unless the requestor is proposing to help such
an effort on continuous basis, that is.

> Also what is important depends a lot on the reader. For example
> Git for Windows or Git Rev News announcements might be important
> for some but not for others. So many people would have to sort
> things out anyway even if there were separate mailing lists.

That's very true.