Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/18] Introduce rust: In xdiff

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 10:07:34 -0700

"Ezekiel Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a continuation of
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/,
> but I am removing the RFC label.

Continuation meaning that these patches build on top of that earlier
15-patch series?

> Suggestions on changes that I could make to this series is appreciated.
>
> Changes in v2: High level overview:
>
>  * patch 1: cleanup: rename variables that collide with Rust primitive type
>    names
>  * patches 2-4: Makefile now produces libgit.a correctly
>  * patches 5,6: Documentation from Brian and Patrick
>  * patches 7,8: Introduce Rust
>  * patches 9-11: github workflows
>  * patches 12-14: introduce crates build-helper, and cbindgen
>  * patches 15-18: varint test balloon
>
> I would like feed back in two categories: big changes, and little changes.

This seems to also mix in some patches from Patrick's series that
are already in flight.  What's the intention of the inclusion?  Do
you expect us to discard Patrick's series and replace with this,
which would lose some from them and then add more from here?  Your
"pull request" may target my "master/main" branch, but it needs to
play well together with other topics in flight that are cooking in
'next' and also with other topics that are aspiring to be in 'next'.

So I can figure out that these patches are designed to apply cleanly
on top of Git v2.51.0, I am somewhat lost what you want to do with
the resulting branch.  Having duplicate commits that happen to do
the same thing in multiple branches "git" the tool can handle just
fine, but that certainly is a bad communication among developers
that we do not want to particularly encourage.

Before talking about "big" and "little" changes, do we need to talk
about the series organization and working well among multiple
developers?

Thanks.