Subject: Re: [GSOC PATCH 2/2] config: set comment_line_str to "#" when core.commentChar=auto

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 16:30:48 -0700

Ayush Chandekar <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2025 at 2:53 AM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> This patch is exactly what Phillip suggested in
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>>
>> isn't it?  Makes sense to me.
>>
>
> Yes, you're right. I should add the suggested-by trailer for this patch.

I am not sure about that, though.  A verbatim copy is stronger than
implementing what was suggested by another person.  If I were in
your position, I'll probably say something like

	The patch text was taken from Phillip Wood's message [*URL*],
	with the commit log message written by me.

	Based-on-a-patch-by: Phillip Wood <...>
	Signed-off-by: Ayush Chandekar <...>

In any case, this overlaps both textually but also intent-wise with
Phillip's "let's mark core.commentchar=auto deprecated and remove
the support at 3.0 boundary", which is planned to be rerolled to
make it a failure when the user uses core.commentchar=auto.  It
would be a while before we tag Git 3.0, so the fix in this topic
will be necessary until then.

Thanks.