Subject: Re: [PATCH] tag: allow idempotent "git tag" without "--force"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2025 14:40:44 -0700

Justin Tobler <[email-masked]> writes:

> For example push the newly created tag:
>
>   git tag T O && git push --tags

The above is not quite a scalable workflow and is not recommendable,
though.  What if you are publishing to more than one place, and/or
sometimes some of them are not reachable?  You want to push out your
tag not because you newly created it, but because you know some
remotes may not have it for whatever reason.  "I just created one"
is a crude approximate for the latter.  "Last time I created one, it
somehow failed to push out" (so I have to try again) needs to be
considered.

Having said that, ever since I invented "push --follow-tags", I
rarely push tags out just for the sake of pushing them out.  Only
when the real contents that matter are pushed out, tags that point
at them would follow.

> To me atleast, the feedback of knowing whether tag was created seems a bit more
> interesting. I also don't feel super strongly though.

I do not fell strongly one way or anothre, either.  Discarding the
topic is easier than keeping it for me, so let me mark it for trash
bin.

Thanks.