Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/3] docs: improve send-email documentation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 07:52:58 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I think ~/.gitconfig should be in single quotes, its not a command.
>
> "Is this something the end-user would type verbatim?" is the criteria,
> not "Is this a command name?".

Looking for "^Markup:" in Documentation/CodingGuidelines, we find a
better description.

 Literal parts (e.g. use of command-line options, command names,
 branch names, URLs, pathnames (files and directories), configuration and
 environment variables) must be typeset as verbatim (i.e. wrapped with
 backticks):
   `--pretty=oneline`
   `git rev-list`
   `remote.pushDefault`
   `http://git.example.com`
   `.git/config`
   `GIT_DIR`
   `HEAD`
   `umask`(2)